Mr. Elwyn Thomas, Administrator
Mr. Tommy Colley, Executive Assistant
Regulate the manufactured housing industry doing business in Alabama with emphasis on compliance and consumer protection.
Serve as the state regulatory agency to enforce the installation program standards and the manufactured building (modular) program construction standards.
- Conduct setup inspections and direct the installer to correct noted non-conformances.
- Administer the manufactured building (modular) program in accordance with the following model codes:
- International Building Code
- National Electrical Code
- International Fuel Gas Code
- International Plumbing Code
- International Mechanical Code
- International Fire Code
- International Residential Code
- International Energy Conservation Code
- ANSI/ASHRAE/IESNA Standards 90.1-Energy Standards
- Americans with Disabilities Act Accessibility Guidelines
- Americans with Disabilities ACT (ADA) Standards for Accessible Design
- ICC/NSSA Standard for the Design and Construction of Storm Shelters
Serve as the state administrative agency (SAA) for HUD to enforce federal regulations pertaining to manufactured homes.
- Receive and process consumer complaints made against manufacturers, retailers, and installers in accordance with Subpart I of Part 3282 of the combined federal regulations.
- Conduct random records overviews of the plants in Alabama to ensure compliance with Subpart I of Part 3282.
- Conduct random inspections of manufactured houses on retail lots. Some items checked are transit damage, HUD labels; home buyer's guide and resale decals in used homes.
- Conduct inspections of the installation of new manufactured homes and ensure installation of new homes meet and/or exceed the Federal Standards.